....Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admireable, think about such things. Whatever you have learned,heard or seen from me put into practice, and God's peace will be with you.... for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances. I know what is to be in need and I know what is is to have plenty. I have learned the secret to be content in any situation - I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Philippans 4:6-11

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Facing the giants


Ellie started volley ball a few weeks ago and it has been such an interesting process. It's just volleyball right, oh, so you say. Her coaches played themselves, their kids are on the team. The girls are at least 1ft taller or 1-2years older than Ellie or have played before. So, the first practice arrived, Ellie was so excited, she boldly walked in only to be completely shocked, (Leroy was also overwhelmed) but she got through practice only to burst into tears as soon as she got home. Stating that she "sucked" and that she did not want to play. What is a mom to do? Protect her, love her and reassure her that it will be OK. After she went to bed, I began to pray for her, I asked the Lord to teach her determination through volley ball, to give her confidence to try, and to give me courage to trust the process. When your children are vulnerable you want so badly to protect them. I realized that pushing her to continue volley ball was protecting her, I was allowing a very controlled process to grow her. So, the plan- we went the next day and got her some knee pads and a new volleyball, we solicited friends and family who have played in the past to encourage her and we made it to the next practice. Low and behold she did much better, she came home so excited. Then came the first game, honestly I was more nervous than her, it was very intimidating. She did great, her team mates are so encouraging, her coaches are intense, but kind and they actually did really good. I found myself on the verge of tears a few times as she so intensely folded her hands ready for anything that came at her. When it was all over I was so proud of her, not because she made the game winning point but because she tried and that is the much greater life skill. Who knows, maybe she will be an amazing volleyball player someday, maybe not, but she faced a giant in her life. Determination is such a valuable character trait, it separates the good from the great. So, what I take a way from volleyball is no matter what it is in life that you face do it with determination, take courage with you and don't loose heart.

No comments: