....Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admireable, think about such things. Whatever you have learned,heard or seen from me put into practice, and God's peace will be with you.... for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances. I know what is to be in need and I know what is is to have plenty. I have learned the secret to be content in any situation - I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Philippans 4:6-11

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Change....
 

So, once again life is changing. Is this a normal thing for everyone else? For us change seems to be about the only normal thing at times. We really are feeling the need to have some perspective. In order to do this we have to take the focus off of ourselves and onto others.  We have decided to take the next 3 months and explore how others live in the world.
On Mission Together
13 countries in 13 weeks
Our goal is to live smaller and become more globally aware of how others live.  Our desire is a heart of gratitude and social responsibility.
Small changes-big impacts
3 minute showers-hang dry towels use for week.
Limited electricity
Limited use of dryer for summer. Line dry clothes.
Recycle, reuse or re-purpose packaging at least once.
Simplify meals- eating meals that coincide with country of the week.
Re-wear clothes- not everything has to be washed after one use
Gardening and buying local in season food.
Enjoy free local activities.
 
Conserve water.

Being intentional
·      We are going to use this time to research, reflect and pray for missionaries around the world.
·      We will use the local library to research our country of the week. 
·      We will journal during the week about what we have learned.
·      We will be prayerful about the countries we are learning about.
·      We will make efforts to reach out to missionaries-through blogs, Internet and churches
·      We will document our process publicly in our house in hopes of having meaningful conversations with others.  
June-South America

Mexico, Argentina, Chile- our friends will be on mission here this week.
Honduras- we will have the Buchanan’s over to a share about their experiences.
July- Asia
China, Thailand, Japan, India, Mongolia
August –Africa/America
Ethiopia, Sudan, Hawaii, Inter-city American
 
 
So, we figure our kids will either love this or hate it- either way we are doing it.  I desire so deeply for my girls to be aware, mindful and sensitive to the needs others have.  I want them to be full of generosity and know how to serve others.  I desire to be changed by this experience, to be more mission-minded.  When I say mission I don't mean the thump you over the head with a bible kind.  I mean the live where I live, eat what I eat, serving others kind.  I know this project is limited as we will still have the comforts of home, but it is a start and who knows where the journey will really take us.   
 

 

 

No comments: