....Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admireable, think about such things. Whatever you have learned,heard or seen from me put into practice, and God's peace will be with you.... for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances. I know what is to be in need and I know what is is to have plenty. I have learned the secret to be content in any situation - I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Philippans 4:6-11

Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 3- Chile

     So, It is official- we are all getting a little burnt out of South American food.... This has been very interesting and I was not expecting it as we love rice, beans and tortillas.  We have been eating a lot the same kids of foods with minor variations for 3 weeks now.  The other night at dinner Ellie who is our resident foodie- asked for anything but Mexican/South/Latin American food for dinner and claimed that we are "so weird."  The girls really have been troopers and we have not let up.  We have had lots of good conversations with our girls about the effects of eating the same thing day after day and that a lot of places in the world live like this.  It has made me look at food in a whole new way, as something that is a necessity but how much of it can very.  Our portions have become smaller naturally and meal time has been more about the conversation than the meal- which is a shift for us as we all love good food and lots of variety.  I have to be honest it has been hard not to cave and go out to eat. This mission has required a lot of self discipline and planning. I feel like a lot of our morning is spent thinking about meals and getting the laundry out to dry which seems almost archaic.

  We have learned a lot about the Chilean people and culture.  Much of Chile along the southwest coast line and is the longest counties in the world.  The land is beautiful. We found it strange that there is a great population of German-Chileans.   It has also been fun as the World Cup is in Brazil- has been on and we have been able to see how much "futbol" is a part of the south American cultures and may other cultures around the world.  Our girls have really gotten into watching the games.  The US game yesterday was great.

  This project has been a great way to be focused on something as a family.  I always tell my girls how important it is to be intentional and how we respond to others matters.  I have enjoyed the stillness and peace that has come with this season.  I am also blessed beyond measure to be home with my girls this summer.  We have decided to hold off on me finding employment until the early fall.  My focus is my family and school. I will need to find something and we are praying about what that something is... I have had a few moments of panic- and then stepped back and reminded myself that this is season, it has an ending and I am never going to get this time back with the girls.  Besides all of that, in 2 years when I am teaching all the sacrifice and hard work will be a faint memory.  I am believing that this season of our life is a platform for all the things to come and that is good for my girls to see me work hard and find success.


No comments: