....Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admireable, think about such things. Whatever you have learned,heard or seen from me put into practice, and God's peace will be with you.... for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances. I know what is to be in need and I know what is is to have plenty. I have learned the secret to be content in any situation - I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Philippans 4:6-11

Monday, June 16, 2014

Week two- Argentina

This last week flew by. We had some fun foods - very simple again and dinner with actual missionary's this week.  My favorite food was beef empanada's with rice.  They were fairly easy to make and relatively inexpensive.  Johanna was very excited about Argentina and did a great job with journaling things she learned.  We found some great books at the library and see that both our girls pick up Spanish well- I wonder what the Lord is going to do with this. It must have been all the Dora they watched when they were little :)

In some ways this last week was test of trusting the Lord, lots of little steps of faith through out the week and times a struggle to stay focused on "mission" I wonder if this is a common thing on the mission field.  I have this idea that while on a mission your mind, heart, and body is wholly devoted to the Lord-this seems very unrealistic as daily life has a way of distracting us. There must be a lot of unnecessary pressures on missionary's to save the world when that is not the real goal.  The goal is to serve- to wash feet, to love, to build relationships so that the credibility is there when the opportunity to share the gospel presents itself.  The Shepard looks and seeks out the one lost sheep. 

  We were blessed beyond measure with people providing little extras like paper towels- which we had decided that we would not buy for the whole summer.  I cut up a two old flannel sheet and we were going to use them in place of paper towels.  This provision for our family which reminds me to be mindful of missionary's around the world and to do my part when I can.  There are people everywhere giving of themselves and serving others.  The Lord keeps speaking to my heart about "a cold cup of water" and how important it is in our faith walk to pay attention to the needs around us and not to over spiritualize our faith- see a need- fill it- give the cold cup of water. This is the kind of faith I want to have.

Our dinner with missionaries was amazing- they brought us dinner-chicken tortilla soup -how funny is this.  It was a great night full of questions and reflection. It was nice to hear how the Lord challenged them, changed them and loved them in their time on the mission field.  It makes me hungry for the chance to go on a mission trip someday. 

Laundry was hard this last week because it rained a lot so I had my clothes rack up all week in the living room which kind of drove me a little nuts as I like things a certain way.... I am learning a lot about myself.  I need a lot of control and probably work too hard keeping our house "just so"  A home is a functional place, that evolves hour by hour through the day.  I keep seeing my home as a workable space so the laundry rack was in the living room was a good mental challenge. 
I am finding that despite some minimal creature comforts life has slowed down and I love it.  I am more aware of my kids less distracted and have enjoyed meaningful conversations with my hubby every evening.  Thankful for so much. 

No comments: