....Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admireable, think about such things. Whatever you have learned,heard or seen from me put into practice, and God's peace will be with you.... for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances. I know what is to be in need and I know what is is to have plenty. I have learned the secret to be content in any situation - I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Philippans 4:6-11

Monday, July 7, 2014

Week 4 and Week 5

The last two weeks have been a little crazy and it has distracted us a little from our mission. My Mom got married July 3. We had our wonderful family in town for the wedding and enjoyed every second of our time with them. 
For week 4 we made and executive decision to not do Honduras (we had already touched on Honduras when we shared a meal with the Buchanan's when they arrived home) and to do Italy instead- to be honest most of it had to do with the fact that our kids where so tired of rice, beans and tortilla's. This allowed us to have a great conversation about our realities and others realities are so different.  It was a nice change of pace and kept the kids on board.  We are learning to be flexible in new ways.  We had a lot of rain during week 4 and drying clothes was a challenge- I had to keep the drying rack inside and it drove me nuts but we made it work.  I would love to visit Italy someday. When my dear friend April and I visited Europe many moons ago we had to cancel our few days in Italy because I got an intestinal infection and was super sick.  Italy was fun also for me personally because I had the amazing privilege of growing up next door to the Nardones'. Sal, their father was this amazing Man who was resourceful, a skilled hunter, farmer and fisherman.  I have the best memories of soccer in the street, spaghetti Sundays, fresh bread, homemade vino, a garden to put mine to shame and lots of fun.  Wow, I realize more and more how incredibly blessed I am and that every person in my path has impacted who I am today.  I can see with my own children that I so deeply want them to value relationships because really at the end of the day that is all we can really count as treasure.
Week 5 was China- like I said before this was wedding week so it was a little less intentional.  Although I do have a burn on my arm after making pot stickers one night.  I had read some fact about china recently that more people are coming to know Christ in China than any other place in the world right now- a modern revival  I think this is awesome.  We also saw that the one child law has been lifted.  This reminds me of a dream that I had years ago 3 nights in a row and it was Leroy and I on a plane going to adopt our daughter from China....great are the plans the Lord has for us.  I have always tucked this dream in my heart and confessed to the Lord that I would be honored to have a daughter from China.
 This project has been so good for my soul- very reflective and stirring up the deep parts of my heart. I am beginning to see that this life should be about doing what love and loving what you do. 
We move to Thailand today- this is going to be fun.

No comments: