....Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admireable, think about such things. Whatever you have learned,heard or seen from me put into practice, and God's peace will be with you.... for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances. I know what is to be in need and I know what is is to have plenty. I have learned the secret to be content in any situation - I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Philippans 4:6-11

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Week One- Mexico

Week One on Mission together.
 This has been a fun week getting to focus on Mexico. It has been a lot of work to be intentional.  We have successfully only used the dryer once this week- we moved our clothes line that we have used in years past, so that it is more accessible.  So, what I have learned from the clothes experience, is that it takes thought and organization- the one load of laundry that I put in the dryer was because I had let it sit in the washer overnight and forgot about it and it was starting to get that "smell" so I put the load in the dryer to prevent having to rewash the load.  We have come up with a system- one load a day about every other day in the morning and hung out to dry for the day. On a positive note- we fold them right off the line so- which prevents the large clothes pile on the couch that needs to be folded.  I cloth diaper, so I have to wash them every three days- but we already had a hang drying system for them and that all seems to be the same.  The towels are crunchy no matter how much vinegar I use or how much I shake them out but I figure it is a good reminder of how blessed we are.

 The food element has been interesting- we have tried some different things.  Hominy has been the most unique- we bought a 6lb can and had finished over half. I made a chicken hominy soup that was amazing. Ellie really enjoyed it.  We have eaten really simple- tortillas, beans, rice, veggies, melons and only a few nights had meat. We had tamales one night- we make them every year at Christmas time with Leroy's parents and freeze them so that we can enjoy them all year.  Making things from scratch also takes time- beans take planning, and rice takes patience. Years ago, my mother in law had shown me how to make rice and beans so that is how we have always made them- I am not sure why they felt more time consuming this last week maybe it was the combination of everything else or that we were making it almost daily.

The 3 minute shower is the hardest- we are a house full of girls. I never realized how long my shower takes to heat up about 45 seconds- so I have come to enjoy the shock factor of a cold shower and the art of soaping up before hand-lol.  Honestly my shower has now become the quickest part of my day.  

My favorite part of "Mexico" was watching Leroy teach the girls how to play Mexican Dominoes which he played as a kid,  while eating Cinnamon popcorn.  Johanna had remembered from our reading that Cinnamon was a spice that is used often in Mexico so we put it on our popcorn and it was a nice treat.  I also enjoyed listening to them practice Spanish on this "learn Spanish App" Leroy found for them. Did I mention that Leroy is a natural with Spanish-  he grew up with Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins all of which spoke Spanish.- I will share this story later. I think it was fun for him to tell stories about his childhood and "growing up Gonzales"

The girls had a good attitudes for the most part- we are requiring a lot more from them beyond there regular chores- they have been helping with projects in the yard and the garden.  Speaking of garden- we had our first fruits- some strawberries. The yard looks amazing- we have been enjoying it a lot this last week. The girls journal entries have been fun- Ellie is writing hers as if she is really in Mexico sharing about the poverty of the people and the beauty of the land. 

It is so funny, that even in the craziness of this last week, there is a stillness in our house.  We have been intentional about not using as much electricity and  I don't think the TV has been on much all week. We have enjoyed some great Mexican music- we even found some Mexican/Spanish  worship music.  We have really had to work our day around the "chores" of the household and working together to make things happen.  I am humbled.  We move to Argentina tomorrow. 

No comments: